Thoughts and observations from someone who has been repeatedly introduced as "Nicole Silvers, that dog whisperer lady I was telling you about" I don't whisper to dogs; I eavesdrop on their conversations with each other.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2009

Solving Behavior Problems with Equipment Choice?

To say that equipment choice is controversial is an understatement. I have heard "[Insert name of equipment here] are awful and should be taken off the market!" AND
"[Insert name of equipment here] are fantastic and every dog must have one!" about nearly every bit of equipment out there.

Part of the issue is the ideal that 'one size fits all'. I wish it were that simple!

Another part of the controversy is that equipment choice is believed to be a predictor of how humane or effective the training will be. I do not believe this.

I believe [insert name of equipment here] can be used in a way that is
  • humane and effective (GOAL!)
  • humane but ineffective
  • inhumane but effective
  • inhumane and ineffective
I have seen Gentle Leaders used to make me cringe. I have personally cringed while stuck on a walk with a dog handed off to me wearing an Easy-Walk harness. I have seen flat collars yanked to a degree that made me wince. I have seen choke & prong collars used with whisper-light touch -- or not even used at all! I have seen dogs choking while wearing flat collars.

Although it is believed that the EQUIPMENT choice is making the difference, it is, in fact, the HUMAN who makes the difference. Humans whose interactions are both humane and effective (the ideal) are ones who understand what they are doing. They know why it works, and what its limitations are.

Generally, I find that people who are looking for equipment-based solutions are people who simply don't realize or don't want to admit that someone has failed somewhere along the line in the puppy's training. Looking for equipment is a REACTION, not a PRO-ACTION.

Go train those doggies! Mistakes are ok! Get help if you need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment