Thoughts and observations from someone who has been repeatedly introduced as "Nicole Silvers, that dog whisperer lady I was telling you about" I don't whisper to dogs; I eavesdrop on their conversations with each other.

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Greeting Other Dogs

What I do with my dog: "My dog" meaning, any dog I am handling. As do many dog lovers, I feel every dog is my dog. Guess that's why I am so passionate about what you all are doing to "my dog".

I allow my dog to greet all dogs, nice or not. Although, as someone pointed out, I would discourage my dog from distracting a service dog performing his duties. Generally, dogs focusing on work are not of interest to my dogs. My dog may greet dogs who are not nice, permitted that my dog shows curiosity and friendliness. (What do curiosity and friendliness look like?)

My dog is not permitted to hump during a greeting. My dog is permitted to sniff butts of dogs who are comfortable with butt-sniffing.

However, my dog IS permitted to grumble at rude dogs. (Can you identify a rude dog greeting? How does it compare to a polite greeting?) They should be permitted to avoid dogs they do not wish to greet.

No comments:

Post a Comment