Thoughts and observations from someone who has been repeatedly introduced as "Nicole Silvers, that dog whisperer lady I was telling you about" I don't whisper to dogs; I eavesdrop on their conversations with each other.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cognitive Ethologist? Abnormal Canine Psychologist?

One significant difference between humans and dogs is dogs' inability to lie. I initially typed the word "limitation" in this sentence, and then began to ponder: What does that imply?" Canines can redirect, "fake out" a partner--I accidentally typed "person" with a picture of a dog in my head. Yeah, I'm a little nuts. -- maybe 'interlocutor' is the word I need?, but I believe they cannot lie.

So where is all this going? It's going to my desire to move the canine model from behaviorism to something cognitive. ALL behavior is motivated by something. Behavior is not random. So, a biting dog who simply needs more mental stimulation will benefit from obedience training or tracking work. A biting dog who needs social help will benefit from controlled & monitored social interactions. A biting dog who needs emotional help will benefit from exercise or pharmaceutical support. A biting dog who needs physical help will benefit from walks, treadmilling, & backpacks. Practically, I find dogs don't fit neatly into physical/mental/emotional/social. They have some degree of need in each direction. I start with the direction that seems farthest from normal, and often use combination therapies, such as wild play reward for intense obedience work, to address multiple needs at the same time. Now, this type of work is not what I would call "training". I think the closest description of my role would be abnormal canine psychologist? I'm not sure if that means the canine or the psychologist is abnormal... Which seems to fit, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment