Thoughts and observations from someone who has been repeatedly introduced as "Nicole Silvers, that dog whisperer lady I was telling you about" I don't whisper to dogs; I eavesdrop on their conversations with each other.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Organic Milk Appeals to a Conscience-driven Target Market

Some of you know that I am a recent vegan.  Not because I find the practice of milking cows or takings eggs intrinsically wrong, but as a boycott of the current production practices.  Having found a sick cow whose rear feet had been tied with twine and dragged on her side by a truck to a hidden corner of the farm, and left for 6 hours that I know of, without being milked, and without being able to stand.  I can't quite get the image out of my mind.  Every ice cream, sour cream, every drop of milk... I see her poor face, her spooked reaction to my touch (cows generally adore me -- dunno why).  My former nickname was "The Dairy Princess", because I primarily subsisted on milk and milk products.  Now, I just can't.

Here is the note I included in the letter I sent via the ASPCA website:

"Simple economics.  The target market for organic milk are people of conscience, who are willing to pay more for a product we find superior.  Getting consumers spending more money for a domestically produced product benefits producers, consumers, and the economy at large."

Click the title of this post if you'd like to send a letter of your own. 

3 comments:

  1. It's probably good for you to have eliminated dairy from your diet. The more I reflect on my own dietary experiences, the more I believe that diets get healthier as they get more primitive. I'm actually thankful to have been able to dietetically join someone in my past who was sensitive to most of the trappings of modern "food".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably good and definitely miserable. A girl needs some kind of sin in her life! At least I still have coffee, although I'm working on giving that up, too.

    Sounds like the primitive diet is working for you, but it does beg the question: How primitive is primitive? Where DO you find woolly mammoth steaks? And is it a whole lifestyle choice with, you know, hunting and gathering all day? Do you eat with your hands? Is there dirt on your veggies? =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. No dirt. Water is pretty primitive. It's mainly just a healthy organic diet. Lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, and fish. Some meat. Very little grain other than rice.

    ReplyDelete