Thoughts and observations from someone who has been repeatedly introduced as "Nicole Silvers, that dog whisperer lady I was telling you about" I don't whisper to dogs; I eavesdrop on their conversations with each other.

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Stop Handler Frustration with Good Showmanship

Thanks, J, for the idea! Sorry I didn't get this out sooner.

Our own frustration is an issue for every handler/trainer. Even the best have a day when they don't feel like training, feel rushed, feel pressured, or even have body aches and pains -- high likelihood of feeling frustrated!

When I feel frustrated, it's generally because I am expecting something beyond what _I_ know how to elicit -- which means that I have to lower my expectations -- i.e., reward a smaller piece of the behavior, OR come up with a new elicitation strategy (which involves some combination of creativity, conversations with trainer friends, and book/internet research).

In my training sessions, I take advantage of every "break" I can to take a deep breath and relax, look around. Very hard to have frustration in a relaxed body -- true for dogs or people! The break is usually after a release word, although when I am proofing an extended behavior (say attention, heel, or stays) for me losing focus, I will do it after a command.

I find that it also helps to have multiple items to work on. When LOOK isn't going well, switch to hi-5 or roll-over or something the dog will definitely get right, generally something the dog enjoys.

Although I self-monitor pretty well now, I haven't always. I find that lots of no, lots of corrections, and lots of frustration indicate a human being pushed (oddly, by their own brain) beyond their limits. It's hard to recognize that the kind of focus that good training demands is not much different than teaching a dog to pay attention. You can't start by demanding 20 minutes of staring at your face. Heck, 20 seconds of staring is a long time to begin with.

Humans, too, have a time limit for focus. I stretch mine by choosing various training activities to match my focus level. When I am fading, I do something not so demanding (like a nice long down stay, or something quick and mindless like jumps or tricks). When I am all gung-ho and excited about training, I do the hard stuff, the complicated, focus-demanding stuff, like very precise attention & heelwork.

The value of quitting while you are ahead is so large. It's so difficult to get really excited about a fantastic COME and then call it a day, but this is beneficial for both parties. Both of you think about how great that was, and end feeling great -- this is how we create an addiction in both parties-- and if you push through until you surpass the dog's and/or your limits, you both think about the crummy thing that training is.

It's like show biz. Leave 'em wanting more. If you give 'em (or yourself) all they (or you) want, if you DON'T leave 'em wanting more, if you give 'em as much as they want...? You are leaving 'em wanting NO MORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment